top of page

Martinsville apartment building fire displaces eight people

MARTINSVILLE, VA – A fire broke out at an apartment building in Martinsville early Monday morning and displaced eight people.

At 1:28 a.m., Martinsville Fire & EMS and the Dyer’s Store Volunteer Fire Department were called to the blaze at 1032 Mountain Road.

Arriving firefighters found heavy fire coming from apartment number 3 of the complex.

The Martinsville Police Department evacuated all tenants from the apartment complex safely.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental with it originating in the kitchen, near the stove, due to unattended cooking.

The department says it would like to remind everyone to be extra safe while cooking.

“Unattended cooking remains our number one cause of accidental fires. Make sure you never leave a cooking appliance unattended while it is in use,” said Martinsville Fire Chief and Fire Marshal Ted Anderson.

Assistance from the Martinsville Electric Department and Henry County Department of Public Safety was also received.

The American Red Cross also responded to assist the eight tenants that were displaced.

Thanks to the Red Cross, free smoke alarms are still available by calling 276-403-5325.

1,043 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page