Search

Heating system deemed cause of blaze at Martinsville home



MARTINSVILLE – On Tuesday evening, January 21st, at 9:28 pm in the 500 block of Glendale Street within the City of Martinsville Martinsville Fire & EMS was called to a house fire.


First arriving firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the home with fire inside the basement and walls.


Kimberly Wilson was home with her three children, ages 8, 15 and 17 when the bathroom started filling with smoke.


Wilson acted quickly exiting the home along with her three children and their puppy but were unable to remove any personal belongings.


The fire was logged under control in less than an hour with Deputy Fire Marshal Andy Powers determining the fire to be accidental in nature.


The cause of the blaze was determined to be related to the heating system.


Damages to the home are estimated at $22,000.


There were no injuries.


The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross due to their home being uninhabitable.


Martinsville Fire & EMS thanked the assistance received from the American Red Cross, Henry County Department of Public Safety, Dyers Store Volunteer Fire Department, Axton Volunteer Fire Department, Collinsville Volunteer Fire Department, Horsepasture Volunteer Fire Department and the City of Martinsville Police, Public Works, and Electric Departments.


“As a reminder, Martinsville Fire & EMS urges everyone to check their smoke alarms and heating systems. Anyone within the City of Martinsville that needs smoke alarms, please call us at 276-403-5325. We have alarms that were donated by the American Red Cross that we will install for free. If you live within Henry County, please call 276-634-4660,” stated Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Ted Anderson.

41 views

Regular office hours are

Monday - Friday 9 AM - 5 PM

Watch us 24/7 on

 Comcacst Cable 21

276-647-9289

276-647-2000

2670 Virginia Avenue,
Collinsville, VA 24078

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White YouTube Icon

© 2020 by BTW21, INC. All rights reserved.