Search

Firefighters battle blaze at home on Askin Street in Martinsville



MARTINSVILLE – Firefighters battled a blaze at a home just before 8 PM on Tuesday.


The home is located in the 1000 block of Askin Street in Martinsville.


Fire crew arrived within four minutes of the 911 call to find smoke and flames coming out of the rear of the single-story home.


The occupant escaped with her three children unharmed.


Martinsville Fire Chief Ted Anderson said the origin appears to be the laundry room which contained a clothes washer, dryer and the home’s breaker panel.


The origin and cause is not finalized.


Anderson added that the home was insured and was close to a total loss.


A total of seven occupants are displaced due to the significant damage to the structure.


Fire crews were on the scene for about 4 and a half hours extinguishing the blaze.


“In the midst of the horrible loss of the families’ home, we would like to remind everyone to check their smoke alarms. With this weekend being the time to set your clocks back, change your smoke alarm batteries as well," Anderson said.


To receive free alarms that were donated by the American Red Cross, call 276-403-5325.


If you live in Henry County, call 276-634-4660.

338 views

Regular office hours are

Monday - Friday 9 AM - 5 PM

Watch us 24/7 on

 Comcacst Cable 21

276-647-9289

276-647-2000

2670 Virginia Avenue,
Collinsville, VA 24078

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White YouTube Icon

© 2020 by BTW21, INC. All rights reserved.