Martinsville, VA (January 21, 2019) –At approximately 7:38 a.m. on Monday January 21, 2019, Martinsville Fire & EMS (MF & EMS) responded to a residential structure fire in the 1000 block of Corn Tassel Trail within the City of Martinsville. The initial report stated the occupants saw smoke coming from the breaker panel, the roof and inside the home. Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames extending from the rear roof area of the home directly above where the breaker panel was located. Fire crews were able to contain the blaze to the ceiling area of two rooms utilizing a strategic approach of exterior and interior attacks. Fortunately everyone was able to escape the home without injury prior to the arrival of firefighters. Estimated damages to the home are $25,000. “The biggest obstacle firefighters were met with were the frigid temperatures” stated Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Ted Anderson. “The temperature was around 12° when the call came in not counting the wind chill. You could tell how cold it was by the ice on the firefighters gear. We even had the brakes freeze on one of our fire engines.”
The Martinsville Fire & EMS Fire Marshal’s office believes the fire is accidental in nature. The fire originated in the electrical conductors above the breaker panel in the attic area of the home. Martinsville Fire & EMS would like to thank the mutual aid received from the Dyers Store Volunteer Fire Department, Henry County Department of Public Safety, the City of Martinsville Police, Public Works and Electric Departments.
While cleaning up from the Corn Tassel Trail fire, Martinsville Fire & EMS also responded to a fire alarm in the 100 block of E Main Street and another possible structure fire in the 110 block of Banner Street. The Main Street call ended up being a false alarm. The call on Banner Street was due to a wood stove that had malfunctioned. Firefighters assisted one homeowner from the resident and cleared the home of smoke.