Search

Fire Marshal: Rives Theatre fire was accidental, surge protector related

Updated: Sep 12, 2019



MARTINSVILLE – Martinsville Fire and EMS ruled the fire that destroyed the historic Rives Theatre as accidental.


On Sunday at 8:33 PM, Martinsville council member Jim Woods was walking by when he noticed smoke and flames coming from the building and called authorities.


Fire crews were on scene for nearly seven hours extinguishing the blaze.


Martinsville Fire and EMS says fire damage was contained to only the theatre.


Fire Chief and Marshal Ted Anderson says the origin is believed to be in an upstairs room, where a surge protector had two refrigerators plugged into it.


Anderson thanked the community and crews from Henry County for their support.


“During this time of such a tragic loss of an historical icon of Martinsville, our citizens once again have stood together to show support. This makes me proud to be a part of our great city and a servant of our citizens,” Anderson stated.


ORIGINAL

MARTINSVILLE – A fire broke out at the Rives Theatre Sunday night.


Martinsville Fire Chief Ted Anderson says arriving crews saw flames coming from the attic.


He said the fire burned through the building's attic and is a total loss.


Crews will be on scene all night.


No injuries have been reported.


No word yet on what could have started the fire.




0 views

Regular office hours are

Monday - Friday 9 AM - 5 PM

Watch us 24/7 on

 Comcacst Cable 21

276-647-9289

276-647-2000

2670 Virginia Avenue,
Collinsville, VA 24078

  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White YouTube Icon

© 2020 by BTW21, INC. All rights reserved.